Monday, January 4, 2010

So Long 2009...and Good Riddance

I've been thinking a lot about the changes I need to make in my life to get the results I want. I came across a new blog called www.6changes.com. There's a lot of info there but it taught me a lot about the reasons I've always failed at New Year's Resolutions and making changes in my life.

The secret is making "habits". It recommends making 6 Resolutions. One for every two months of the year. This is one of the reasons I always fail. I always try to do to much at once. This way I can focus on one thing and start with baby steps. That is the second reason I can never keep a goal longer than two weeks. I try and lose 30 pounds in one month instead of making a "habit" and slowly building up an exercise routine. The third rule is to be publicly accountable for your goals to help you keep motivated and log your progress. 

So that's it, I'm going to:

  • Start with one change at a time.
  • Begin by taking baby steps.
  • Commit publicly and keep a log.
These are my New Year's Resolutions:
  1. Financial Organization. Organize bill schedules and debt payoffs. Organize filing cabinet.
  2. Daily Exercise and Diet. Activities I enjoy. Cut back on processed foods. 
  3. Stop Internet Obsession. Cut off impulsive behaviors like checking e-mail, facebook, and Google Reader.
  4. Wake Earlier. Make quiet time to relax, create, or exercise.
  5. Focus on Creating. Set aside time every day to create something amazing.
  6. Declutter. Simplify schedule and possessions.
Obviously there is more stuff I want to conquer, but I have to keep it simple. I am going to break each change down into 8 steps, 1 for each week during the 2 month period.

Nikki and I coined the phrase, "Zen in 2010." That's what I am going for.

(Sorry I'm not as funny as Nikki is. I will try to incorporate some humor in my next posts.)

1 comments:

AZ Larsens said...

heehee! I need to stop compulsively checking FB, reader, and email too. It's seriously scary.

Post a Comment